First day of school and virtual learning for all students is Monday, August 17, 2020
Hello Parents and Guardians,
I hope you and your family are safe and healthy. As you can probably imagine, the district has been working around the clock to prepare for the re-opening of schools. I want to provide you with some significant updates and information.
First Day of School
The first day of school and virtual learning for all students is Monday, August 17, 2020. We will follow the district’s daily instructional schedule, which will be shared with all parents very soon. The instructional schedule will include breakfast, lunch, and Specials (Art, Music, Spanish, P.E. & Technology).
Returning students: Parents can use Parent Portal via Infinite Campus to update their address, contact information, etc. If you have not already created an account, this will be a crucial step moving forward as the District moves to online communication. Parents can access Parent Portal to view grades, progress reports & report cards, and communicate with teachers. To create an account, please visit the following website at www.dekalbschoolsga.org/infinite-campus.
You may also email Ms. Dennison, Secretary, at Angela_Dennison@dekalbschoolsga.org or call the school at 678.676.5202 if you have additional questions.
New Students: Please visit the District’s Online Registration link located at www.dekalbschoolsga.org/online-registration
We will have a virtual Open House on Wednesday, August 12, 2020. The times are as follows:
- 8:00-9:00 a.m. -AES General Session for parents with the Principal, Assistant Principal, Counselors, STEM Teacher, & I.B. Teacher.
- 9:30-10:30 a.m.- Kindergarten Virtual Open House
- 10:30-11:30 a.m.-First Grade Virtual Open House
- 11:30-12:30 p.m.-Second Grade Virtual Open House
- 12:30-1:30 p.m.- Third Grade Virtual Open House
- 1:30-2:30 p.m.-Fourth Grade Virtual Open House
- 2:30-3:30 p.m.-Fifth Grade Virtual Open House
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. Pre-K Virtual Open House
Teachers will reach out to their parents and provide them with online access information by Tuesday, August 11.
The Open House will be recorded for later access if needed.
Chromebook Distribution for All Students
- Students in grades 3-5 will receive their laptops first according to the schedule in the next bullet, and students in grades PreK-2 will receive learning backpacks until their laptops arrive later in the month.
- Thursday, August 13 at 3:00-4:00 p.m. for all 5th-grade students
- Friday, August 14 at 10:00-11:00 a.m. for all 4th-grade students
- Friday, August 14 at 11:00-12:00 p.m. for all 3rd-grade students
We will have a drive-up checkout process whereby the parents will remain in their cars. A staff member will bring the laptop to the vehicle, and the parent will present their identification and sign for their child’s computer.
More information will be shared with parents at Open House.
Parents, please watch out for communication by the district to participate in a district-wide Student Technology Survey by Monday, August 3, 2020.
Based on this survey, the district will guide schools on how to assist families in need of Internet connectivity.
Training and Support for Students:
Students will be provided Virtual Learning Support for assistance if needed. This information will be shared at Open House.
I would like to thank you for your patience throughout this very challenging process. I understand how the presented information is critical to you planning for the re-opening of school on August 17. Please note that I will continue to share additional information with you when it comes. Continue to visit the district’s website at www.dekalbschoolsga.org for updates as well.
With Roadrunner Pride,